Friday, June 08, 2012

 Yesterday was Davis' kindergarten field trip to the zoo. This was his second field trip, the first was two weeks ago to a local organic farm where they got to pet the cows and see them  milked and taste the products the farm distributes to local stores. I really wanted to go on that trip, however it filled up quickly for chaperons.

I shouldn't complain, i know since most school even in the same districts didn't even get to go one field trip, one of the many reasons we LOVE his school, teachers and principal being the first!

okay, back to the filed trip. This was my first chaperoning experience, and both Davis and I were excited. I was lucky in that a good friend was chaperoning also and we were in the same group, this help that sanity level throughout the day.

To start, i don't ever remember bus seats digging into my knees and the brakes on the buses being so testy (maybe that was our senior citizen driver lol). Our little group of five kids had fun searching out the animals and writing about them (Davis' teacher made each child an animal book with pictures to wear around their necks with pencils that they could spell the animal names and circle what action they were doing, sleeping, playing, walking etc.

we had lunch a few hours into the trip and that was the quietest the kids were the whole time :-) Let me now tell you that for some reason all the other schools decided this day for their zoo field trip also so it was packed with kids.

Here is Davis' and I after lunch, he is holding his little zoo book in his mouth. Tasty.

Davis' favorite animal at the zoo hands down is the cheetah. Today was a rainy day so i guess the cheetahs like to take it easy too. I think we really need some sunshine here in Oregon....soon. even the animals are feelin' it!


The polar bears were out and about today. One on them must have a brain injury or something because all he did was take like six steps forward and then six steps back....repeat. The other one was a little more normal and would play with his water toys and brushes.
 Here Davis is writing down information on the mountain goat. I can say that the zoo was a good experience, but I don't think I would want to ride the school bus there again. We left the zoo with the kids we came with and Davis was so happy to have me there and that is why I did it. Here is to many more chaperoning experiences and fun with my boys.

3 comments:

Lee and Sharon said...

Ha Ha Mindy. This is just the beginning. Field trips are the best - I love them. Your child feels special when his mom comes along.

Lee and Sharon said...

Finally a new picture. I have been waiting so long for some new pictures of you guys. Yea!!

Liz said...

Hmmm...I'm pretty sure that the afternoon driver was out to kill us all. My knees were bruised from bumping into the seat so many times!! lol

But what a fun day!! Even with all that @#$&(* rain! :)